Upper Spruces Campground, Salt Lake City, UT 84116
+1 435 649 7534
“Spruces Campground is located in scenic Big Cottonwood Canyon at an elevation of 7,500 feet. Salt Lake City is conveniently close. Visitors enjoy hiking, biking and fishing.
Natural Features: The campground is set among a forest of shady spruce and aspen trees. Vivid summer wildflowers are abundant and autumn leaves put on quite a show.
Recreation: Hiking and mountain biking are popular activities on canyon trails, including the Donut Falls Trail, which begins within the campground. Fly-fishermen enjoy casting on Big Cottonwood Creek.
Facilities: This large campground contains several group overnight campsites and day-use picnic sites, as well as numerous single and double-family campsites. All sites have picnic tables, campfire rings and grills. Flush toilets and drinking water are provided. A baseball field, volleyball court and horseshoe pits are located within the campground. Firewood is available for purchase from the host. Roads and parking spurs are paved.
Nearby Attractions:Big Cottonwood Canyon is a beautiful area known for its soaring peaks, pristine hidden lakes and cascading streams. Numerous hiking and mountain biking trails are in the area. Rock climbing is a popular activity as well.
Solitude Mountain Resort is 3 miles up-canyon, offering scenic chairlift rides, hiking, a few dining options and a challenging 18-hole disc golf course.
Silver Lake is another mile past Solitude. Fishing and canoeing are popular activities. An easy trail loops around the small lake.
Activities and Amenities
- There are no electrical, water, or sewer hookups available at this location. Hooking up to the power in the restrooms even for medical devices is not allowed for safety reasons.
- This is a watershed area; visitors will be fined for bringing domestic pets or livestock into the area
- No amplified music is allowed in USDA Forest Service campgrounds and facilities. People come to the campgrounds for peace and quiet.
- This campground has first-come, first-served sites
- A fee for extra vehicles will be collected at the campground
- Swimming and wading is not allowed due to culinary watershed restrictions
- Off-road vehicles are not allowed in the canyon
- Campers must be in the campground by 10 p.m. Gates are locked from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. with no entry during that time.
- The gate is closed at 10 p.m. If you must arrive after that time, please call (435) 649-7402 to make arrangements to be let in.
- Click here for more info about the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest
This facility is operated by American Land & Leisure. We appreciate hearing from you. Comment cards are available from campground hosts or online at americanll.com.
- Don’t Move Firewood: Help prevent the spread of tree-killing pests in our national forests by obtaining firewood near your destination and burning it on-site. For more information visit dontmovefirewood.org.
GPS Info. (Latitude, Longitude):
From I-215, take the 6200 South exit and travel a mile east to Wasatch Blvd. Take Wasatch Blvd a mile south to junction with Big Cottonwood Canyon/Highway 190. Make a left at the junction and travel up Big Cottonwood Canyon 9.7 miles to the campground.
Mailing Address: SPRUCESHIGHWAY 190WASATCH UTPhone Number: Information: (435)649-7534